Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 12 Video Blog


colour hockney Pictures, Images and
Photos

Hockey used photography to take pictures of things that represented a painting.  E would take the images and cut and arrange them in a manner where it represented a painting.  I like and learned that you could take images and arrange them on a large scale to recreate an art or in Hockney’s mind a painting.  Being a photographer I learned you can create an art out of multiple pictures.  I also learned Hockney invented the Polaroid, something which I don’t remember reading in the text.  I was actually inspired by his form and would like to take on some photo collages myself.

andy warhol Pictures, Images and
Photos

I always thought Andy Warhol was a rich and interesting individual, so I chose to watch a video on him to learn more about him.  From the text I know him as controversial from his ads, to photographing things like race riots.  I learned he favored silk screen because there was literally no work in it at all.  His associates could also duplicate these arts without him.  I learned also how he integrated painting into his silk screens.  It was very interesting to get inside Andy Warhol’s head, and his thought processes behind his works.  I came away with knowing who Andy Warhol was and what he strive to do.  I like how he said, “If you want to know Andy Warhol, simply look at the surfaces of my paintings and arts.” 

rothko Pictures, Images and Photos

Rothko is not an artist I’m very familiar with, so I was interested in watching the video on him.  It was very intriguing hoe he died as his paintings were arriving at a London gallery.  I liked his ideals in that art could save the world. The text did not tell how he defected to the US and its capitalistic ways from Russia, where he was offered a substantial amount of money.  His art was inspiring and proved to be in great demand by the public.  It was interesting to learn he did not appreciate the commissions he received and despised the amount of money that could be made in such a Capitalist society.  I liked how he painted murals for a restaurant hoping to make its diners sick, as he hated the rich.

isamu noguchi Pictures, Images and
Photos

Isamu Noguchi is very interesting where self expression does not interest him, space, time, and looking for a design or image in an object is what he appreciates.  The text did not infer that his inspiration was from Japanese Gardens, and from this he refers to his sculptures and spaces as gardens.  It’s a place that can only be created with observance and time.  This is the model he used and was very interesting and Zen- like.  I appreciated his water sculptures and their different design and thought processes in creating them.  He used time and observance to envision the different works, and the video was very in depth about his process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment